Monday, January 26, 2009

A family filled weekend

On Friday morning Catie, Susie, and I flew down to Pasadena to surprise my mom for her 60th birthday. We landed at about 10:45 am and my dad picked us up. We went to my dad's office to change Catie into her party dress and headed over to the first of two birthday celebrations for my mom. Her girlfriends were throwing her a Scottish birthday luncheon. Scottish you make ask. The reason is that my mother has decided to take up a hobby. No it isn't scrap booking, knitting or writing a memoir. She has been taking BAG PIPE lessons. Yes folks, my mom wants to play the bag pipes (which my dad gave her for her birthday). The thing is that if you know my mom it makes total sense. Ok..so I digress.

We arrived at the party just after my mom did and walked in the front door. She was in the kitchen when her girlfriend said, "Catherine, come in here. You have a surprise at the door". She walked in and saw the three of standing there and just started to cry. It was great. We totally surprised her. Her response was. "So that is why you were on text this morning". Text= Instant Message. She was close!

The lunch was wonderful and they even surprised her with a bagpiper. The noise didn't seem to bother Catie at all. She just stared at the man and probably thought..."This is what my grandmother wants to do"?

After the lunch we came home, sat by the fire, a gave my mom her birthday present, a memory book. We asked both sides of the family to write their favorite memory with my mom, or a birthday wish or anything that they wanted to. Susie and I compiled it all into a book that she can keep and read over when ever she likes. She was really touched.

On Saturday morning my dad surprised my mom with a massage at the spa (which he included my sister and me on). We had a wonderful time and came home very relaxed. In the late afternoon we had to drop Susie off at the airport so she could head back to SF and get ready for Cabo(she left on Sunday morning- jerk face). On Saturday night my Aunt and Uncle threw my mom a dinner party with about 30 of their friends. It was a great party. Who would have thought that a bunch of 60 year olds would party until almost midnight! I think that the only reason that they left is because we all did.

Catie and I flew back on Sunday afternoon and she was great on the flight. It was a wonderful weekend filled with family and friends and now it is back to daily grind. I hope that everyone has a great week.

1 comment:

Heather said...

HAAAAA!!! All I can think about is that one episode of Friends where Ross wants to play the bagpipes at Monica and Chandler's wedding.

Get excited, Susie!!!