Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hungry?

This past weekend Catie, Auntie Susie and I went to Pasadena for the weekend. Susie and I both really wanted to spend sometime with our grandmother Nonnie (now know as Little Nonnie). When we were younger my grandparents (Nonnie and Bampa) lived in Palm Springs during the winter and we would go down and visit them a lot. I have so many wonderful memories of spending time with them. One of the funniest memories that I have is every time we drove into their complex in the desert we would take bets on how long it would take my grandmother to ask if we were hungry and wanted something to eat. Normally the person that guessed 5 minutes or less would win. I always thought that it was just Nonnie's way of taking care of us but now I realize that it must be in the grandmother rule book. As soon as we walked in the door on Thursday night my mom had Catie in the high chair and she was eating turkey, cheese, and watermelon. I laughed because my mom has officially become Catie's Nonnie.


Another great memory of the desert is us sitting at the kitchen table in the mornings having breakfast and planning our day. Everyone would be in their robes, my grandmother would ask who wanted oj or grapefruit, the milk would be a pitcher (never in the container), the table was set, and my dad would be cooking breakfast for all of us. My dad loves to cook breakfast. Growing up we had mickey mouse pancakes with Trix cereal as the eyes and smiles, waffles, eggs (the best ever), etc. My dad has always said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and he proved it again this weekend. On Saturday morning my dad made waffles and as you can tell, Catie loved them!

We had a wonderful weekend hanging out with the family and we got some great Little Nonnie time in. My 95 year old grandmother is truly amazing. She is the most generous, caring, loving person that I know. I am so glad that Catie has been able to spend time with her Little Nonnie. I forgot my camera so when my dad sends me the pictures of this past weekend I will post them. Catie is Little Nonnie's 18th great grandchild and I am her 11th grandchild...we are both so lucky.

No comments: