Monday, May 4, 2009

Catie's Stats...

Catie had her 9 month check-up on Friday with Dr. Ornstein. She weighs 19.4 lbs and is 27 1/2 inches long. I wasn't surprised when the doctor said that she was in the 50% for height. My friend's from college use to say that I was the tallest midget that they knew. Sorry about the height Catie but as your Nonnie always told me, "It's better to be short then tall because you can date tall men and short men"! I told that to myself every time they asked us to line up in order of height.

Anyways, after Dr. Ornstein answered the 12 questions that I had written down (yes, I bring written questions, a pad of paper, and a pen to every doctor visit) we spent the appointment talking about what Catie should be eating. When Catie turned 7 months I started to give her Gerber puffs which dissolve in her mouth and teaches her to use her "pincher" fingers to eat. She has gotten really good at feeding herself (we are now working on eating only 1 puff at a time versus the 4 that she stuffs in her mouth). Since she has done such a great job at feeding herself the doctor said that I need to start giving her more finger foods and less pureed food. Catie should now be having 3 meals a day and about 4 bottle throughout the day.

The doctor told me to start giving Catie steamed vegetables that are cut up, small pieces of chicken, meat or turkey, pasta, and bite size pieces of fruit and cheese. She said that it's ok to give her some of your food at a restaurant, let her gnaw on bread, eat some of your food at meals, etc. There were some rules...no nuts (helps to avoid food allergies), no citrus fruit or milk until she is a year old, and not too many spices. Easy enough!

After the doctor's appointment Catie and I went straight to Trader Joe's to get her some food. My grocery cart has never been filled with so much fruit, vegetables and protein. When we got home I gave Catie some watermelon and turkey. Let me tell you folks...she loved it!! Wow, she really is getting so big. Here is a picture that I took of her eating. As you can see, she is one happy baby!



On tonight's menu...chicken, pears, and asparagus.

No comments: